Color Theory Project 2

Project: Monochrome Painting

Criteria: Clean border, single color with black and white, highlight and shadow, gouache with water on cold press illustration board.

Color Theory Project 2
Color Theory Project 2

Based on Christian Coigny’s photo titled ‘Modesty’

After several painting projects in the few art classes I’ve taken, collectively about eight or nine paintings, I really wanted to pick a simple, clean human form. We were directed to use a single color, along with black and white, and after I had picked my picture, I decided on a warm yellow ochre. We were painting on Crescent illustration board, and after I had painted on it, I realized that the stock provided at both the local art store and the school bookstore was of the ‘university quality’, which, according to Crescent, is not recommended for the majority of wet media. Unsurprisingly, the board warped under the initial washes for the background, as I was still experimenting with gouache’s capability for color spreading. I had too little time to begin again, however, and it doesn’t detract from the work too much.

This was my first human figure painting in any medium, although I was concurrently working on a impressionism style landscape with a figure, and I found the proportions difficult to acheive at first, even after sketching it out with a grid. However, after some prompting from my professor, it seemed to come together. The hair was the last part I painted; I didn’t want it to stand out, so I under emphasized the highlights that were present in the photo. I consider this painting a moderate success, at least by the criteria set forth for the project.

Advertisements

Painting I First Project

I recently began my Painting I class at the local community college, and we have finished our first project, a monochrome still life:

Still Life
Still Life

We were not allowed to work on this project at home with a photography, so it was completed in three two hour sessions over the course of a few weeks. All students picked different colors and were allowed to create their own composition. It is painted entirely in Titanium White, Mars Black and Pyrrole Orange acrylic, so essentially it contains only three pigments as all three are single-pigment paints from Golden Acrylics. We were not allowed to use any medium save water. We were also allowed to experiment with brushes; the brushes I used were a #10, 8, 6, and 4 flat, a small house painting brush, and a small rigger for details. The graded criteria were:

  • Accurately portray highlight and shadow tonally
  • Effective composition
  • Differentiate between textures

This painting was somewhat successful in that the metal can is undeniably shiny, but the difference between the driftwood and artificial flowers is not as distinct as I would have preferred. Also, I had to switch positions during the still life, so some of the proportions are constructed, and not very well at that. I have not yet received a grade for this project.

Composition Project #3

The third project in my art composition class was a morph. I decided to do a sword to pen motif with a border of square kufi script reading shalom/peace. It didn’t turn out so great, mostly due to the spreading of the Prismacolor pencils, but I did learn a very important skill: how to draw an accurate polar grid. Here’s the piece:

image
Time for Peace

The composition is not correct in the fact that the script border should be smaller and the sword/pen should be more featured, so I am in the process of redoing it with more care. Altogether, though, I have a greater appreciation for colored pencils in general and a love for circular compass rules.